In 2014, for the first time, the Summer School programme will be complemented by an alumni conference on the last two days of the Summer School. Here, current summer school participants will get the possibility to immerse themselves into academic discourse with experienced participants of former summer schools that have been realised in cooperation with the ECREA over the last ten years.
The alumni conference will be dedicated to the overall topic “Researching Media and Communication in Europe” and assemble scholars from all over Europe, who will present insights and outcomes of their PhD research after they have successfully visited their respective media and communication summer schools that were organised in other countries in cooperation with the ECREA.
Thus, the Summer School is strongly characterised by a multidisciplinary and network approach, not only on the level of lecturers but also on that of the PhD projects: this in itself helps to widen the theoretical discourse on media and communication and bring in new theoretical and empirical impulses and insights.
Details for the Alumni Conference
Date: The Alumni Conference will take place on August 15 and 16, 2014.
Venue: The Alumni Conference takes place at the University of Bremen, SFG Building, Enrique-Schmidt-Str. 7, 28359 Bremen, Germany.
Directions: Tram line 6 (direct connection between Airport—Main-Station—University) to the stop „Lise-Meitner-Straße“, turn right into Enrique-Schmidt-Straße. The SFG building is the last building on the right side.
FRIDAY, AUGUST 15
14:15: Welcome Address
Nico Carpentier (International Director of the European Media and Communication Doctoral Summer School)
Andreas Hepp (Local Director of the European Media and Communication Doctoral Summer School)
14:30-16:00: Panel 1: Researching media and communication in national contexts
Chair: Nico Carpentier
- Aida Martori, Barcelona (particpant 2014): Public Television: The Relationship Between Generalist Televisions and Proximity Televisions in a Moment of Transition Towards Internet. The Case of Catalonia
- Alexander Kontratov, Grenoble (participant 2011): Official Political Post-Soviet Public Sphere and Social Medias: Study of the Case of Protest Movements in Russia (2011 - 2012)
- Erik Knudsen, Bergen (participant 2013): Negative Press and Attitude Change: Comparing a Longitudinal Content Analysis of Press Coverage with Trend Analysis of Public Opinion
16:00-16:30: Coffee Break
16:30-18:00: Panel 2: Research media and political issues
Chair: Richard Kilborn
- Xavier Ginesta, Vic (participant 2006): Middle Eastern Countries and Place Branding Strategies. How Countries Have Used Sport – Media Events to Internationalize Their Country Image
- Laura Suna, Riga (participant 2008): Migrant Media Identities – Comparing Transnational Identities of Latvian, Moroccan, Turkish and Russian Diaspora in Germany
19:00: SuSo14 Farewell/Conference Dinner
SATURDAY, AUGUST 16
9:30-11:30: Panel 3: New media, new challenges
Chair: Andreas Hepp
- Michaela Stumberger, Erfurt (participant 2012): Arranging Space for Life at Work: Self-determined “Boundary Work” Using Digital Media
- Stijn Joye, Ghent (participant 2006): Distant Suffering and Practices of Domestication: How Can News Media Discursively Invite us to Care?
- Matthias Berg, Bremen (participant 2008): Mediatization and Communicative Mobility. Everyday-Communication against the Background of an Increasingly Individualized, Mobile Labor Market
- Olivier Driessens, London (participant 2009): The Selfie as Promotional Tool in Celebrity Culture: Ambivalent Control, Visibility and Intimacy
11:30-12:00: Coffee break
12:00-13:30: Lecture: Richard Kilborn about Summer School History
14:30-15:30: Panel 4: Discussing research agendas from a European perspective
Chair: Denis McQuail
- Pika Založnik, Ljubljana (participant 2011): Slovenian Social Scientists’ Understanding of Public Knowledge and Participation in Sustainable Development
- Cigdem Bozdag, Istanbul (participant 2009): Virtual Mobility Projects and Intercultural Exchange in Schools
15:30: End of conference